Grace Under Pressure ..

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said in a speech: “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” So true. What we are as human beings present itself more fully in times of adversity than at times of ease. Anyone can be positive, polite, and kind when things are going well. What distinguishes people with an extraordinary character from the rest of us is how they respond when life sends one of its inevitable curves. They don’t crumble or surrender. They reach deeply into themselves and present even more of their highest nature to the world.

Few months back, I was on the runway, ready to fly home from Paris. The flight had been delayed by a few hours so it felt good to be so close to takeoff. I had my iPod in place, a new book and my journal. Then, the pilot’s voice came over the public address system: “The ground crew has found a metal instrument in one of the tires. We regret that we must cancel this flight.” The reactions that statement provoked were fascinating.

One man close to me became belligerent to a flight attendant. A couple in another row grumbled loudly. A businessman in a dark suit actually kicked the seat in front of him. Yet some passengers responded differently, with a quiet humanity. An elderly gentleman smiled as he helped others take their bags down from the overhead compartments. A teenager, rather than trying to rush off the plane like most of the other passengers, stopped to help a woman with a disability. The lady sitting next to me laughed and said, “Hey, it’s not the end of the world.” Before calling her kids and sharing her adventure with them. The wisest among us have a remarkable ability to maintain grounded when times get tough.

No life is perfect; mine certainly isn’t. After O walked out, I thought as if it’s the end of life but eventually I realized that I must move on. And indeed, it was a sane decision. We all must face challenges, both large and small. This very minute, somewhere in the world, there are parents dealing with the death of a child. This very minute, there are marriages getting dissolved. This very minute, someone has suffered an accident that will devastate their loved ones. This very minute, there are human beings dealing with illness in a hospital bed. Sickness, loss, disappointments. No one gets through life without experiencing this stuff. But certainly, you and I have the power to choose to be strong and positive when things fall apart. We have the right to use our stumbling blocks as stepping stones to our greatest life. This isn’t motivational sloganeering. I believe this is truth, yes?

Grace under pressure. That’s what separates leaders from followers. It’s that beautiful quality that inspires others and reflects a well-developed spirit, It’s a trait that allows you to carve out a spectacular life- one you’ll be proud of at the end.

And here, I think I am being somewhat like a Guru :p enough with the wisdom post for today. Only if it could help you guys ..

Cheers.
Urooj.

16 love for me ..:

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back, Urooj :)

Knowledge is best when shared after all :)

Sana said...

We'll have to rent up a place for Urooj Baba!
Free Love consultations plus a peep into the future :P
ROFL!

Blasphemous Aesthete said...

when lessons are coupled with real examples... it no longer remains a boring motivational post Urooj, if this helps, it ought to be here...

Cheers,
Blasphemous Aesthete

Neeha said...

Great Inspirational post..
N its sooo true..

Anonymous said...

NICE POST UROOJ,
LOUDELY CLAPPED MY HANDS

Rooj Siddiqui said...

@ Reenie: Thank you :)

--

@ Nikki: Haha, I don't mind :p Urooj Baba sounds cool :p

--

@ Blasphemous: True that, sir :)

--

@ Neeha: Thanks for dropping by, lady :)

--

@ Anonymous: Lol. Ty..

Estell said...

I love your writing so much. It always cheers me up..and I wish I had your look at life lol
Its so beautiful! (ps. hope you had fun at the halloween party! lol)

Rià said...

Thats a beautiful way of seeing life. I am glad that u chose to see the +vity in life. Good to have u back Urooj. :)

Lady Whispers said...

wow i love this post of urs <3 and this was so maturely written that i am in awe of u....wish i wd have been even 1% of how ur in this bad phase ...in one of my bad periods....i wd have not lost on important things.....but i am so glad :)...just keep the strength and am there always :)....love ya girl >:D<

P.S. i love ur new dp <3

Anonymous said...

Hey Urooj =)

*hug hug* Nice to see you back..

Loved this post, I really need positive motivation, and I am usually pretty ungraceful under pressure :$

P.s Nice pic ;)

Sapphire said...

This post was truly an inspiring read :) keep it up!

Killer Drama said...

Inspiring :)

I like your attitude!

Nas said...

Lovely post!
Very well written.

&& you're right, at this precise moment in time there may be countless people out there in the world who are going through things that I couldn't even contemplate in my wildest dreams, but everyone, I think, is allowed to shed a few tears for their own pain. But it also helps to remember, that with tears in our eyes it's difficult to appreciate the beauty around you.

Thank you for sharing!
:)

Harini said...

This is very good post :). I think the same thing that everyone goes through ups and downs in life. Life spares no one. You must be strong and get through the downs to enjoy the ups :).

rantravereflect/ jane said...

woww motivational sloganeering hmm? it sounds like O got you come out with intersting jargon :) well, grace under pressure, im trying to practice n perfect it, but the easiest way to do it is make it a force of habit by force :) well wisdome post got me cracked up, will keep @ it now :)

Jack said...

Urooj,

You made me feel so proud of you. One must keep a pace ahead of all negative things which pull one down. Keep faith in God with honest, clean and clear heart. Do your utmost best and leave rest to God.

Take care

Behind the curtain..

My photo
I believe that it's the ordinary that is so distinguished. I am only an amateur who sees the mundane with a twist. Goes around putting titles on self-perceived moments as life goes on by...
 

Masquerades..

“I can read women. But god damn you woman, you’re all over the place. If I could read you I’d be god” -David Flecha

Twitteraati

About

I believe that it's the ordinary that is so distinguished. I am only an amateur who sees the mundane with a twist. Goes around putting titles on self-perceived moments as life goes on by...